Wednesday, June 15, 2016

The Embossed Aluminum – Emek, Santa Barbara, 2012


Artist: Emek
Type: Gig Poster
Print: Embossed Aluminum
Size: 12 x 24
Event Date: 4.12.2012
Venue: Santa Barbara Bowl – Santa Barbara, CA
Signed, numbered on the back in an edition of 50 distressed, 50 aluminum, and 20 copper

This one lives on the short list of my favorite posters of all time.

Emek is known for his unique print techniques and materials, and few posters of his posters are more unique than this one from the King of Limbs tour in 2012. Only 120 were made in three editions: aluminum, distressed aluminum, and copper.


When I first saw these I immediately fell in love with the distressed version and was lucky enough to find a fellow collector willing to trade his for my copy of Cyberman, another metal Emek print that I had laying around. Tree man for Cyberman - a solid trade.





For the frame job we (my framer and me) went with a black frame stacked with a metallic fillet (which are usually under the glass) and double metallic matting. The print itself is float-mounted a half-centimeter or so off another mat below. It hangs proudly in my living room where only one other poster collector (I’ve only ever met one other in person) has recognized it as the prize it is.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I've always wanted one of these Emek embossed metallics. I was at that show. (I was at almost every SoCal show over the past 20 years) Yours is framed and displayed beautifully. Kudos

    ReplyDelete