Monday, June 13, 2016

The Dero Tryptich – Jermaine Rogers, The Woodlands, 2001


Artist: Jermaine Rogers
Type: Gig Poster
Print: Silkscreen
Size: 36 x 24
Event Date: 6.18.2001
Venue: Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion – The Woodlands, TX
Signed, numbered in an edition of 225

For anyone who’s ever seen this poster in passing, then thought about it later and decided they wanted one but didn’t know who made it and is attempting to find it by Googling a description of it, this part is for you:

Radiohead poster teddy bear
Radiohead poster evil bear
Radiohead poster three bears
Radiohead poster with instructions for viewing
Radiohead poster with directions for use

There. Now your Google search will bring you here.

This poster starring Jermaine’s original Dero character in three images is among the most popular and memorable Radiohead posters ever made. Scratch that – make that gig posters ever made. Check out the great original font.


One time I was at work (before smartphones) and couldn’t bid on a lovely defaced version of this one, so I asked my wife to do it. I explained sniping to her, and gave her an exact number and time to enter my bid for me. I lost, of course, because she, meaning well, thought she could get it for me for less and went completely against my instructions. Of course not only did I lose the auction, but it went for significantly less than I was willing to pay.

To make up for this she actually took the time to paint me a mini version of the poster. Here it is:


Isn’t that sweet? (Ignore the misspelling)

I ended up landing a regular (non-defaced) version a few weeks later for even more than what the original defaced version I lost went for (Grrrrrr), and it hangs proudly in my office not far from the 2003 Jermaine Pay Attention Radiohead poster. But I do cherish the one my wife painted. She did a great job.

Here’s the “Direction for use” from the bottom of the poster:






Here's an example of the defaced versions:


The 2003 Pay Attention poster comes up a lot more often for sale and regularly breaks the $300 mark, but this one doesn’t come up often at all. I’d like to see what one would go for nowadays what with the new album and tour happening.


No comments:

Post a Comment