Sunday, May 8, 2016

The Dragonfly Girl - Joe Whyte, Toronto, 2003


Artist: Joe Whyte
Type: Gig Poster
Print: Lithograph
Size: 28 x 20
Event Date: 10.15.2003
Venue: Skydome - Toronto, ON, Canada
Signed, edition of 300

This was my first Radiohead poster and the one that got me hooked on the poster hobby in general, so it’s a great poster to start this blog.

The image, a monochromatic, slightly off-center woman with dragonfly wings, doesn’t bring to mind any specific RH lyrics, but it is impactful, surreal, and beautiful. The red/black theme is characteristically Radiohead for this time period. The first time I slapped this one into a frame and stepped back to look, I was immediately hooked on the poster hobby.

I bought this one in 2006 for $20, but the prices have been trending up slightly as of late. Generally these tend to sell for less than $50. Still, it’s a steal at that price.

While most of my framed prints are done professionally, this is one I put into a $10 ready-made poster frame when I first got it and there it remains to this day.

3 comments:

  1. Question. Just curious as to why they put Snowdome on this poster instead of Skydome (the actual venue name). Any reason? Did someone get it wrong? Fantastic set of posters. I love your passion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I knew, but thanks for the info! Didn’t know that...

      Delete
  2. Thanks for responding. The stadium is now known as the Rogers Centre (named after a big Canadian Telecom Company), however, prior to that, it was known as Skydome. The building with a completely retractible roof. Maybe Radiohead was poking fun of the city up North....because of the snow we get in winter?

    ReplyDelete